Sunday, March 16, 2008

[Translation] This man is very charismatic





Note: This is a translation based on a article/write up in a blog of an ENT (china media) female reporter who had the opportunity to interview Jang Dong Gun when he was in Wen Zhao, China on Nov 23 2007.
Original source: http://sophyxia84.blog.163.com/blog/



In my memory, the starting of Korean-Pop in China originated from HOT. And the eminence of Korean drama originated from Jang Dong Gun. At that time all my female friends were either a fan of Ann Jaek Wok or Jang Dong Gun. And there was a girl because of JDG did a photo album and a special book with news clippings, she also swore that in her lifetime she would only marry her "Lee Jung obba" (DG's character name in drama "Model" in 1997). At that time when we were all surrounded by Korean Wave, I too cannot escape and became a fan of NRG, I learned Korean language, watched Korean drama and listened to Korean music. But at that time I was only in high school, when I gradually grew up and established my own personal thoughts, I realize that Korean drama was not as good as what others claimed it to be. Hence, I left the wagon and peacefully as an outsider observes the up and downs of Korean wave. So many years has passed, Korean wave does not seem to loose it's attraction, maybe it is because of all those young handsome stars, that continue to catch the eye of the Asian people.

There seems to have a lot of things related to Korea around me. Korean restaurant that continue to open one after another, the owner of a fashion shop must add the word "Korea" on a very ordinary clothes as if having that word would increase the class of the clothing. Although for a long period of time I was surrounded by korean culture, I only met two Korean people, one is Jang Na Ra and another is Jang Dong Gun.

The young handsome stars that I mentioned such as DBSK, Super Junior, FTIsland, their beautiful outward appearance and outstanding performance on stage will bring one to a beautiful generation. And those male actor that are getting more mature are gradually being forgotten and abandoned to a corner. But this time after I met Jang Dong Gun, I realized that his charisma and manliness are something that one will never find in those young beautiful male stars.

Jang Dong Gun is very well mannered and humble. When I was waiting for him in his hotel room, my back was facing the door, without any declaration he appeared behind of me. When I saw everyone began to stand up, when I look over my shoulder; I saw a tire but mesmerizing looking delighted face, faint perfume smell, straight fitting suit, tall stature, very skinny person greeted me with a smile and said "Nice to meet you !". Immediately, I extended my hand and used Korean language "How are you" to greet him back. Very graciously he used his left hand to hold on to his suit in front of his abdomen, extended his right hand to shake my hand, and at the same time greeted me with a 90 degree angle bow. Much to my surprised, I quickly followed his gesture and bowed back.

The whole interview actually only took about 20 minutes, but we felt that it must have been over 2 hours. Jang Dong Gun smile exhaustedly, one can see that he is really very very tire. The translator was talking to my recorder, he was sitting by our side looking at us with a small smile. When the translator and I was laughing, although he cannot understand but he will politely laugh with us. I found that his clean, neat and white teeth make his smile much more alluring, in addition with "little cow obba" pairs of "cow eyes", I finally realize and can understand why they are so many female from different countries are crazy about him. In regards to all my questions, he will always answer whatever I asked him, furthermore he will always answer with sincerity and attentiveness.

Before this interview, he participated in an event. Because of the unreasonable arrangement by the organizer, he was extremely exhausted. Actually I had prepared many difficult and probing type of questions, but when I was faced with his polite,well-mannered and yet tire smile, I absolutely cannot make myself to question him further. I know that as a reporter my work cannot involved any of my own personal emotions, but suddenly I was overwhelmed with many different type of emotions; His hard work, his endeavor, his fatigue, his cooperation and amenability...I cannot be so cruel to him. I cannot help it and told his translator: "Great, I am done with my questions, you guys better get a good rest", then facing him I said a word "fighting !". Once again with his perfect smiling face he replied with a word "thank you !".

There will be a day when Korean Wave will cool off, there will be a day when one has to pass the stage to someone else, but personal character and charisma will never be replaced by anyone. This gracious gentleman will forever be the leader/king/prince.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jang Dong Gun's signature handshake.







credits to dgteahouse for the above pictures

No comments: